Archive - How to track precious metals (gold and silver) in Moneydance
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
Create an Investment account by selecting Account->New Account.
Call the account "Precious Metal".
Set the initial balance on the account to the initial purchase price of the metal.
Create a security to represent 1oz of silver. Do this by selecting Tools->Edit Securities.
Set the security name to "Silver".
Set the ticker symbol to "SLV".
Set the value suffix to "oz".
Click on the investment account.
You will be asked if you want to add a security to this account. Click Yes.
Select the security you just created. Set the Type to other and create a new sub type called silver.
Click on the "Register" view.
Click New transaction and enter a buy transaction for the number of ounces of silver you own at the price you paid for them.
In the screenshot I purchased 300oz at 20USD/oz
Then create a new security to represent gold. In this example I want the gold price to be updated automatically and the best ticker symbol I have found for this is GLD. 1 share in GLD is equivalent to 1/10oz of gold.
Select Tools->Edit Securities.
Set the security name to "Gold".
Set the ticker symbol to "GLD".
Set the value suffix to "1/10 oz".
Go back to the investment account and click on the "Security detail" view.
Click "Add Security"
Select the "Gold" security.
Set the type to "other" subtype "Gold".
Go to the investment register.
Click New transaction and enter a buy transaction for the number of 1/10 ounces of gold you own at the price you paid for them.
In the screenshot I purchased 40 tenths of an oz at 100USD/ tenth of an oz. (4oz)
Add the Stock quotes extension by selecting Extensions->Add. Click next and select "Quotes and Exchange Rates Updater". Click Next. Click Finish.
Select Extension->Quotes and exchange rates.
Change the update frequency to "Yearly". This will download the last year of prices.Change
Click Update Now.
Change the update frequency to back to "Daily".
You can download an example data file from this link:
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else