Archive - Moneydance 2017 - Backups, Exporting, and Data Locations
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
Moneydance offers the ability to manually export a backup to a location of your choosing (external hard drive, thumb drive, etc). The exported file will have the file extension “.moneydancearchive” and is a compressed file.
For data fidelity reasons exported backup files do not contain data related to syncing with mobile devices (such as iPhones, Android devices, etc).
To export a backup go to File → Export Backup. Select the appropriate name and location for your backup file, and wait while Moneydance exports your data as a “.moneydancearchive” file. When the export is complete Moneydance will notify you that your data was exported successfully.
To open this “.moneydancearchive” file, go to File --> Restore from Backup. Navigate to and select the file, then click "OK".
In order to export information from Moneydance go to File → Export.
- Select your desired file format - you can export data from Moneydance in QIF, Tab-Delimited or Raw JSON format.
- Choose a range of dates to be exported, or select "All dates" from the Date drop-down box.
- Select or type the path of a destination file name (this file need not exist before you start the export).
- Select the Currency to use for all financial values in the exported information.
- Once you've set the parameters for the export, click "OK" and your file will be exported.
Moneydance will store any new data files you create in the same, default location.
If you have not manually moved your data file to a different location, your files can be accessed by navigating within Moneydance to Help --> Show Documents Folder. The default location for your data file(s) varies depending on your operating system, and is listed below -
Mac OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra -
Mac OS X Snow Leopard -
More recent versions of Windows -
Older version of Windows -
C:\Documents and Settings<username>.moneydance\Documents
If you already have your data in Moneydance but would like to store your data outside the Moneydance library, follow these instructions -
If you obtained Moneydance from the Mac Apple Store, unfortunately you cannot move your data file due to limitations imposed by Apple regarding the 'sandboxing' of Apps.
- While Moneydance 2015 is open, in the menu bar go to Help → Show Documents Folder. This will open a file browsing window. Close Moneydance, but keep this file browsing window open.
- You will see a folder in your file browser that looks like yourfilename.moneydance
- Move this folder to its new location. You only want one copy of this folder on your system, so it is important to move the file to the new location. If you copy the file, you'll have two seperate copies of your data set.
- Open Moneydance 2015, and in the "Welcome to Moneydance" window which appears click the "Open Other" button in the lower left hand corner.
- Navigate to the new location of your data file and click to open.
Moneydance will remember the new location of your file and open it automatically next time you launch Moneydance 2015.
Once you have located your .moneydance file, you can rename the data set to the desired name.
Ensure that Moneydance is closed before making any changes to your file name. You must also ensure to retain the .moneydance extension when renaming.
When you then reopen Moneydance you will likely be presented with the 'Welcome to Moneydance' window.
If your newly renamed data set is not displayed on the right of this window, click the 'Open Other' option. A file browser will open, allowing you to navigate to and select your newly renamed data.
To remove an unwanted, duplicate, old, or unused data set, open the data in Moneydance to ensure this is the correct file you'd like to remove.
If your data is stored in the default location, you can access it by navigating within Moneydance to Help --> Show Documents Folder.
After opening your data, if you're using a Mac, you can right click (or Ctrl + click) the Moneydance title bar, where the data set name is displayed. Then select the folder directly below your data set to open the folder that contains your data set in Finder.
After doing that, a window will open and the data set to be removed will be selected (note: in some instances, the data set will have a folder icon instead of the Moneydance icon).
Switch back to the Moneydance window and close Moneydance before making any changes to the file.
Then right click the file and select to move the file to your recycle bin or trash folder (but don't empty it yet!).
After that, open Moneydance and you'll be brought to the Welcome screen, which will allow you to open your other data set(s).
Select your current data set and open it in Moneydance and make sure that your data is correct (this is to ensure that you removed the correct data set).
Once you've done that, you can safely empty your Trash folder! Repeat this process for any additional unwanted data sets.
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)