Archive - Do I need to close the year in Moneydance?
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
If you are used to older versions of different personal finance software, you may be familiar with the concept of "closing the year." With Moneydance, there is no requirement for the year to be closed. You should continue entering in your transactions into the register without treating the changeover to a new year as an event where you have to do anything out of the ordinary. This will allow you to continue to be able to view your older transactions with ease.
If your account register feels too cluttered with all of the transactions from previous years, you can choose to filter out any transactions not in the current year. Look to the top of your register and click on the "This Year" button.
Your other transactions haven't gone anywhere; they're just hidden from the current view. Remember that if you want to view your transactions from a previous year, you will need to click the "All" button at the top of the register.
If you would like to review your transactions for the past year, you can do this by editing the date range for the various reports in Moneydance. For example, in the Income and Expenses, Detailed report, click on the "Edit" button towards the top of the report. In the next window, you will be able to select the date range for the report:
You can manually specify a specific date range, of use the drop down options in the "Date" field to quickly select common date ranges. For example, to see your income and expenses for last year, choose that option in the "Date" field:
If you don't want to see any older transactions, you can choose "This Year", "Year to Date", or any other options that seem appropriate.
If you have been reconciling your accounts on a regular basis, you probably have discovered that Moneydance will warn you before making a change to a cleared transaction. Once you have reconciled your accounts through the end of the year, Moneydance will warn you if you attempt to make any changes to a transaction from that previous year.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else