Problems with MoneyDance version 2019.3 (1880) and Catalina

Jim Weber

11 Nov, 2019 08:46 PM

Since up grading to Catalina, I've had multiple issues with MoneyDance. Odd thing is that the following do not happen consistently.

1 Sometimes when I try to select a transaction the list moves under the mouse and I get the wrong one.

2 Sometimes the Category dropdown will not allow input. Sometimes multiple clicking on the Category resolves it and sometime I have to out of the transaction and select it again.

3. Sometimes when I try to edit a reminder, double clicking win it will not bring up the window. Sometimes clicking on out multiple times bring it up and other I have to go out of Reminders and back in to get it to work.

I've been able to use MoneyDance but it sure is not the way it used to be and very frustrating.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 18 Nov, 2019 03:34 PM

Hi Jim,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) where the version and build number will be displayed.

Unfortunately we are aware of an issue when using the Apple Magic Mouse hardware. Can you confirm that this is the model of mouse that you are using?

We're trying to fix the problem with this mouse, but it's proving a little harder to resolve than we initially anticipated.

We have found that customers have been able to resolve these issues using a regular mouse or trackpad. Do you have either of these at your disposal so we can test if this resolves the problems for you?

Thank you

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by James Weber on 19 Nov, 2019 02:08 PM

Hi Maddy,

As I indicated in the subject line of my original query, I am using MoneyDance 2019.3 (1880). My Mac is a MacBook Pro and while I have been using a Magic Mouse I have the same issues with the computer's built-in trackpad. So it seems your issue is more than a mouse issue.

Another issue that I have is that MoneyDance takes a full 30 seconds to open.

Thanks - Jim Weber

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 19 Nov, 2019 02:18 PM

Hi Jim,

Would you be able to send us a copy of your Moneydance error logs, the logs should include information on what might be causing the mentioned issues .

The logs are saved on your computer as an errlog.txt file. Using Mac OS X, the logs should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go --> Go to Folder, then copy and paste in exactly the following:

~/Library

This will pull up your local Library folder and you can then navigate to the locations above to find the logs.

Thank you

--

4. 4 Posted by James Weber on 20 Nov, 2019 02:55 PM

Log attached as requested.

Thanks - Jim Weber

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 20 Nov, 2019 05:50 PM

Thank you for the additional information, James!

As I mentioned in Post 1, there have been issues over the last couple of years related to the Magic Mouse, in particular, having really extremely sensitive behaviour that shows when used in Moneydance, in popups.

This issue sounds more like the cursor might be moving ever-so-slightly when double-clicking and Moneydance interpreting the two clicks as separate events.

I wonder if you could confirm whether the double-clicks are more likely to activate when the mouse (or finger on the trackpad) is very carefully held still, between clicks?

Thank you

--

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Maddy on 20 Nov, 2019 06:14 PM

In regards to the issue related to the time Moneydance requires to load, we agree that 30 seconds, it's way too long and according to your logs this might be caused by holding a large security price history.

So, I've attached a file called *price_history_thinner.py * that should resolve this problem for you.
    This thins price history older than a year, by keeping no more than one price per week. Prices within the last year (or the age_limit_days parameter) are not removed

Before using the file, you can take a backup of your Moneydance data set, using the File --> Export Backup.

To use the .py file, first save it to your computer and then follow these steps:

1. In Moneydance, select Window --> Show Moneybot Console
    2. In the window that opens, select 'Open Script' then navigate to the .py file wherever you saved it on your system.
    3. Select 'Run Snippet' to execute the file.
    4. Wait a few moments, please note: it doesn't show any window or options.

Once completed, try to launch Moneydance.

Please let me know if you have any problems running the script, or if you continue to encounter issues .

--

7. 7 Posted by James Weber on 25 Nov, 2019 03:53 PM

Hi Maddy,

I’ve tested your theory multiple times over the past few days. The issue does seem to have been improved with latest beta update of Catalina. However, while the Reminder edit window opens immediately with the use of a double click on the trackpad, about half the time it takes multiple tries with the Magic Mouse. I am completely removing my finger from the mouse after making the transaction selection to ensure there is no ever-so-slight movement. This realluy seems like it must be a MoneyDance issue as it does not happen in any of the other apps on my Mac.

Thanks - Jim Weber

8. 8 Posted by James Weber on 25 Nov, 2019 04:00 PM

Hi Maddy,

I did not use the file because I do not save prices more than once a month, usually only once a quarter. However, since updating to the latest beta version of Catalina, MoneyDance now loads in 5-10 seconds.

Thanks - Jim Weber

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Maddy on 25 Nov, 2019 07:23 PM

Hi Jim,

I'm very pleased to hear that you've made some progress.

I'll keep this discussion open for now, so do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac