Archive - How to move your data file to a different location in Moneydance 2012 and above
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
If you already have your data in Moneydance 2012 or above but would like to start sharing it on Dropbox or another shared folder, or simply store your data in a different location, follow these instructions.
If you obtained Moneydance from the Mac Apple Store, unfortunately, you will not be able to do the below steps due to limitations imposed by Apple regarding the 'sandboxing' of Apps. We are working on an integrated sync mechanism that will allow you to desktop-to-desktop syncing in future releases of Moneydance.
First, make sure that you have a copy of Moneydance 2012.2 or newer. To find out what version you have go to either Moneydance -> About Moneydance on OSX, or Help -> About Moneydance on other platforms.
To move a data set, the simplest way to accomplish this is to open the data set that you want to move (if it isn't opened already) by going to File -> Open and open it in Moneydance to verify that it is, indeed, the data set that you want to move.
After opening it, if you're using a Mac, right click (or Ctrl + click) the Moneydance title bar, then select the folder directly below your data set to open the folder that contains your data set in Finder.
After doing that, Finder will open and the data set you want to move will be selected (note: in some instances, the data set will have a folder icon instead of the Moneydance icon).
Switch back to the Moneydance window and close Moneydance, then drag and drop the selected data set in the Finder window to your preferred location (or rename it, if you'd prefer - you can rename a data set in Mac OS X by pressing Enter while it's selected).
After that, open Moneydance and you'll be brought to the Welcome screen, which will allow you to re-open the data set. Click the Open Other button at the bottom of the Welcome screen and navigate to the location where you moved the data set to, then select the yourfilename.moneydance data set and open it.
If you're using Windows or Linux, the location of the data set will be in the Moneydance title bar, so you can use Windows Explorer (or your preferred Linux file manager) to browse to the location of your data set and find the yourfilename.moneydance data set, then close Moneydance and move it to your preferred location (or rename it) and follow the instructions above after the Moneydance Welcome screen to re-open your data.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else