Moneydance asks for an account setting up Direct Connect with an Investment institution

another_refuge

22 Mar, 2020 03:26 PM

Re: Moneydance 2019.4 (1903)

I am a refuge from another personal finance application whose developers have gone to an annual subscription model. I'm still evaluating Moneydance as an alternative. I've run into a problem trying to set up Direct Connect with one of my Investment accounts. In the old program, I would enter my username and password, and it would run off and get the transactions for each of my securities to update my register. However, in Moneydance, when I attempt to set up the online access, after providing my username and password for the institution's server, I receive the prompt in the attached file. I recognize the numbers in the dropdown as being the financial institution's numeric identifier for the security (e.g. 1123), a comma, and then my account number with the institution. For example, the choices might be:

where 1123 is associated with Fund 1, and 1124 is associated with Fund 2.

I've checked the supported financial institutions, and my institution is listed (it is path2college 529).

I've also read these kb entries attempting to diagnose this myself:

I have also read the following discussions on the forums already:

I've also considered "sub-accounts" which was mentioned in one of the discussions, and my thought was to make the 529 account the parent of individual accounts representing each security, but I find that the parent for an account must be of the same type, or the base account, and that Investment accounts specifically are restricted from having a parent account. I could generically refer to this investment account as an "Asset" and do it that way, but I would really like it grouped with my other investments.

I could also create an account for each security, and then set up Direct Connect the way Moneydance appears to want me to, but then my account value would be spread across two accounts (versus seeing the total account value when I receive statements or log into their website.)

Is there another solution to this issue? Or alternatively, could I make a feature request that would allow me to make the association I'm prompted to make at the Security level?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• md_prompt.png 9.52 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac