Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
(Please note: If you were using the Network Sync extension on any previous versions of Moneydance, you will need to uninstall the extension before Moneydance's built-in Dropbox syncing will work properly. You can uninstall the extension by going to Extensions -> Manage extensions, then scrolling down to the Network Synchronizer extension and clicking the Remove button.)
Dropbox syncing enables you to enter and update transactions in your accounts on your mobile device(s) and have those changes sync to your desktop/laptop version of Moneydance from anywhere you're connected to the internet.
- In the Moneydance menu bar, go to File→Syncing and click the Enable button to enable Dropbox syncing (it will say Disable when Dropbox syncing is enabled).
- Create an Encryption Password
- At this point, you may be asked to give Moneydance permission to access your Dropbox folder, which it needs to be able to sync your data.
Dropbox syncing is now enabled on your Moneydance application.
The next step is to install the free app on your mobile device from the iTunes Store if you're using and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or the Google Play Store if you're using Android and configure it:
- Install the free Moneydance app on your Android, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and tap “Dropbox”
- Tap "Connect to Dropbox" (if you're already connected to Dropbox on your mobile app, this step and the next may be done automatically)
- You'll be taken to Dropbox's website to give the Moneydance app permission to access your Dropbox. (If you have more than one file enabled to sync via Dropbox, choose the file you'd like to sync.)
- Enter the Encryption Password that you created earlier.
It may take a few moments for the initial sync to complete and for your account information to be displayed, and then you're all set! To see more details about the app, including screenshots of the setup process, check out the the Moneydance 2014 user guide here.
Please be aware that syncing with an iOS or Android device via Dropbox is not a replacement for backing up your data, as your iOS or Android data needs to by synced with your main desktop data file to function properly. You should make sure to be backing up your main desktop data file with whatever backup method you use to protect your financial information.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else