Archive - Keyboard Shortcuts in Moneydance
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
Moneydance contains a number of time-saving features designed to make entering information (especially transactions) as quick and efficient as possible. Listed below are the most important shortcuts and the context in which they apply.
+ or = Advance or "spin" the date forward
- or _ "spin" the date backward
t (lower case) Go to the current date
m (lower case) Go to the first day in the month
h (lower case) Go to the last day in the month
y (lower case) Go to the first day in the year
r* (lower case) Go to the last day in the year
Amount and Rate Fields You can enter complex math expressions in any amount or rate field and they will be automatically evaluated when you move to the next field. For example, if you enter the following: 100 X (12 + 4), this will be evaluated as 1600.
In addition, entering a value followed by a currency ID will automatically convert the entered amount from the given currency to the currency of the entry field. For example, if you are entering transactions in your US Bank Account and you want to enter a purchase that you made in Scotland for 200 British Pounds, just enter 200 GBP which will be converted to the equivalent amount of US Dollars, according to the exchange rate in your currency list.
Check Number Fields
*+ or = *"spin" the Check Number up
- or _ "spin" the Check Number down
In addition, pressing the plus key in an empty check number field automatically calculates the next check number based on past transactions in that account.
Control-N (Command-N on a Mac) while in a transaction register will begin entry of a new transaction.
Control-Backspace (Command-Delete on a Mac) will delete the currently selected transaction, and pressing the enter key while editing a transaction will record the current edits.
Control-L (Command-L on a Mac) while editing a transaction will bring up the split editor.
Control-A (Command-A on a Mac) will select all the transactions in the register.
Right-clicking (or control-clicking on a Mac) the transaction register will display a pop-up menu with available actions including the shortcut keys that invoke those actions.
Moneydance has an auto completion feature for transactions. Transactions can be auto completed simply by typing in the payee field. With each keystroke, past transactions are searched for payees with names that begin with the text already entered. If a matching transaction is found, the rest of the current payee field is filled in with the matched payee value. At this point you can either continue to type, or use the TAB key to continue to the next field.
Ctrl-B opens the reconcile window when you are in the register of an account. This is true for all account type other than loans which we don't current offer the ability to reconcile.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else