Archive - My beginning statement balance doesn't match last months ending balance.
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
What is a Beginning Balance?
The "Beginning statement balance" shown in the reconcile window is the cleared balance on the account. Which is to say it is the sum of all the transactions in the account that have been marked as cleared (plus the initial balance on the account if you had one).
What can I do if my balances don't match?
If you reconciled your account last month and this month you came to reconcile and the beginning statement balance this month does not match the ending statement balance from last month there are a limited number of possible causes.
1) You modified the amount of a transaction that was already marked as cleared.
2) You deleted a transaction that was already marked as cleared.
3) You manually cleared a transaction in the intervening time.
4) You deleted a category that contained cleared transactions. Deleting a category deletes all transaction that use that category.
5) You deleted an account that had transfers to or from the account you are reconciling. Deleting an account will delete all transfers that use that account.
6) You changed the "Initial balance" on the account under Account->Edit Account...
7) You manually marked a cleared transaction as uncleared.
8) If you had the option under Preferences->Network "Mark transactions as cleared when confirmed" checked and then performed a download and confirmed transactions.
If you have done any of these things it can be quite tricky to track down the cause of the change in cleared balance.
The only way to fix such a problem is to go over the register and your old back statements and see if you can find anything that has changed.
If the discrepancy is relatively small it might be simpler to enter a new transaction (Categorize it "reconcile discrepancy") and clear that transaction.
Some users find it helpful to enter a dummy transaction with a zero amount and enter a description stating what the cleared balance was on this date as a marker they can refer back to later.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else