Archive - Where is my data stored?
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
Moneydance 2014, 2015 and 2017 will store any new data files you create in the same, default location. If you have not manually moved your data file to a different location, your files will be stored in a default location. The default location for your data file(s) varies depending on your operating system, and is listed below.
Mac OS X Lion (10.7) and higher: /Users/(username)/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents
Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6): /Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/Documents
If you're using a Mac, you can go directly to your data set by right clicking (or Ctrl + clicking) the Moneydance title bar, then selecting the folder directly below your data set to open the folder that contains your data set in Finder.
After doing that, Finder will open and your data set will be selected (note: in some instances, the data set will have a folder icon instead of the Moneydance icon).
More recent versions of Windows: C:\Users\(username)\.moneydance\Documents
Older version of Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\.moneydance\Documents
If you're using Windows or Linux, the location of the data set will be in the Moneydance title bar, so you can use Windows Explorer (or your preferred Linux file manager) to browse to the location of your data set and find your yourfilename.moneydance data set that way.
On all operating systems, you should also be able to quickly open this location by going to Help -> Show Documents Folder from the Moneydance menu bar. Note that you will have to get past the Moneydance welcome screen to reveal the full menu bar.
If at some point you have moved your data file to a new location and nothing above helps you remember where it is, try searching your computer for all files and folders that end with the .moneydance file extension. Once you locate it, you can use the open other option from the Moneydance welcome screen or the menu bar (File -> Open -> Open Other) to select your yourfilename.moneydance data set.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else