Canadian Banks Automatic Downloads

harold

03 Apr, 2022 08:44 PM

Hi is your monthly subscription service for the Plaid platform set up for Canada? I am banking with TD, CIBC and Tangerine. When will investment transactions become available for downloads?
Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 20 Apr, 2022 07:46 AM

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your query, Harold!

We've recently released Moneydance 2022.3 (4072) including a feature that will allow you to connect not only to Canadian banks but also investment accounts using Moneydance + now.
    This version is now available to download from this page.

Please note Moneydance + is a premium service that requires:

1) You own a license of Moneydance 2022

2) a subscription ($2 monthly) - for further information please refer to this section of the Knowledge base.

You might be required to disable your current connection on the Online Banking Setup screen first, in order to stop the OFX method (if you were using this previously) to take over Moneydance + and allow your transactions to download as expected . To remove the connection, open Moneydance, select your account, then choose Online > Set Up Online Banking and select the "Disable" button to remove the connection.

Then, in the Set Up Moneydance+ window, you'll need to click on the "None" label in order to select which account in Moneydance corresponds to the account names and numbers on the left side of the window. After doing that and selecting the Moneydance account from the menu, using the ⌘D keyboard shortcut or clicking the Download button when the account is selected will cause Moneydance to download the transactions for that account.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by harold on 09 May, 2022 02:12 PM

Hi Maddy,

I am still waiting for a response to my last email! I went ahead and signed up for a trial subscription of Moneydance+. Unfortunately it is not working; after adding two of my 3 Candaian banks it says connected for TD and CIBC but the Tangerine account never triggered a text confirmation. I have attached 2 screenshots of the error message. The investment arm of TD Canada Trust (TD Direct Investing) is not listed either. I do not have a lot of time now to trouble shoot this so unless there is a quick fix I want to cancel my trial subscription and deal with this at a later time.

Thanks

Harald

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 09 May, 2022 02:40 PM

Hi Harold,
    You can find my reply to your initial query in post 1 of this thread.

Finally, in order to resolve the issue reported in post 2, you should navigate to the Online>Setup Moneydance + menu and look in the connections list (scroll down).

When you see "no name" listed, you should disconnect it.
    Finally, you should restart Moneydance.

Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--

4. 4 Posted by harold on 09 May, 2022 03:40 PM

Hi Maddy,

Thanks for the quick reply! It is working now with the following exceptions:

1. Tangerine MasterCard (see screenshot): I had been unable to
    download from that account since maybe 2 weeks (before the Plaid connection)
    with no change on my side. Tangerine was the only Canadian bank that has a
    direct connection and the other accounts from that bank still worked.

2. How do I download my investment transactions from TD Direct
    Investing?

Thanks

Harald

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 10 May, 2022 09:24 AM

Sorry to hear about the problems you've encountered.

Unfortunately it looks like Tangeringe Bank have stopped supporting Direct Connect services. So, their listing was removed from Moneydance.
    I'm surprised this service was still working for you. Generally the error 2003 you are receiving means that the log in information you have entered are not valid and you need to ask your bank to re-enable this service.

Since Moneydance supports automatic downloads using Direct Connect and Moneydance +. You may want to consider switching to Moneydance +.

You might be required to disable your current connection on the Online Banking Setup screen first, in order to stop the OFX method (if you were using this previously) to take over Moneydance + and allow your transactions to download as expected . To remove the connection, open Moneydance, select your account, then choose Online > Set Up Online Banking and select the "Disable" button to remove the connection.

Then, in the Set Up Moneydance+ window, you'll need to click on the "None" label in order to select which account in Moneydance corresponds to the account names and numbers on the left side of the window. After doing that and selecting the Moneydance account from the menu, using the ⌘D keyboard shortcut or clicking the Download button when the account is selected will cause Moneydance to download the transactions for that account.

Finally, in order to connect your TD Canada Trust (TD Direct Investing) accounts with Moneydance+ you should follow the steps outlined here.

You need to ensure you are running this version Moneydance 2022.4 (4078).

Finally, to maintain system stability, TD Canada Trust currently only allows Transaction updates daily between 4am-11am UTC.

--

6. 6 Posted by harold on 11 May, 2022 12:15 PM

Hi Maddy,

I did sign up for the trial MD+ service, and have updated to the version you suggested, but 2 issues remain: TD Direct Investing is not listed when I try to add new accounts and Tangerine MasterCard is still giving me the error message. There is no option to “disable button” on my Set-up MD+ page, did you mean click on Connected and select Disconnect all of my Tangerine accounts (which are working except the MasterCard account) or click on the Mastercard account itself and select Don’t Download? I have used the Direct Connect method before, I need instruction on how to stop that, if that is what is interfering.

Can I do this anytime or only doing the specified time window?

Thanks

Harald

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 11 May, 2022 12:34 PM

Let's try a different approach!

Firstly, you should download and install Moneydance 2022.4 (4078).
    To check if you are running this version already, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance, where the version and build number will be displayed.

Then launch Moneydance and navigate to Extensions->Manage Extensions. Install the Toolbox.
    Launch Toolbox and navigate to Toolbox Options (on top left corner) and select -
    Update Mode->Yes->Do Back Up Now (recommended).

Then, navigate to Menu: Online Banking (OFX) Tools (2nd tab down).

In the resulting window, under Update Functions you should select :
    Delete OFX Banking Service / Logon profile (remove_one_service.py)

Finally, restart Moneydance and recreate the connection as outlined here.

--

8. 8 Posted by harold on 11 May, 2022 01:01 PM

can I do this now or should I wait until TD service is available in the specified window? How do I access my TD investments? I have updated to the preview.

9. 9 Posted by harold on 11 May, 2022 04:01 PM

Hi Maddy,

The first time I ran Toolbox the Tangerine entry was not removed from the MD+ account list; the second time the Tangerine entry was absent in the Toolbox drop down list (while still present in the MD+ list) and produced a crash; I have attached the log

Thanks

Harald

10. 10 Posted by harold on 12 May, 2022 08:35 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Undo merge

Hi Maddy,
    I disconnected all accounts from all 3 banks and reconnected them and the downloads now work with MD+. I erroneously confirmed a transaction that should have been merged. With the QFX download I could delete the transaction and then merge it after the 2nd download. When I run the MD+ download, the deleted transaction does not trigger a fresh download that I can re-categorize. I have 3 options to download in the Online tab: 1. MD+ and the linked account, 2. MD+ and 3. open the bank page in browser. If I chose the download option from the browser, will that mess up the MD+ connection or can they be used independently to fix my mis-classifications?

11. 11 Posted by harold on 12 May, 2022 08:38 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: TD Canada Trust

TD Direct Investing, the discount brokerage arm of TD bank, is not offered in the list of TD search results of MD+. How do I download investment transactions?

12. 12 Posted by harold on 12 May, 2022 08:48 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Line of credit account

A related problem with another bank: 3 transactions in a line of credit account (dated prior to today's date) are not being downloaded through MD+, can I download them though the browser on the bank website or could that cause issues with the MD+ connection?

13. 13 Posted by harold on 12 May, 2022 09:07 PM

Do CIBC and Tangerine banks also have restricted hours for the MD+ service?

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Maddy on 13 May, 2022 08:40 AM

CIBC and Tangerine do not indicate a specific time frame on the Plaid website, so I assume they don't have restricted hours.

--

15. 15 Posted by harold on 13 May, 2022 06:27 PM

Hi Maddy,
    My question was whether manual downloads from the browser can interfere with the Plaid downloads. After the first Plaid downloads that had worked, subsequent transactions fail because (as the status bar reports) available transactions are mistakenly removed because they are classifieds as duplicates.

I have now manually downloaded the missing transactions via the browser, how do I fix the Plaid downloads?

16. 16 Posted by harold on 13 May, 2022 07:08 PM

The Tangerine accounts are the only ones that do not have an option to
    manually download via the browser from within MD; is that because the
    previous direct connection is still interfering? Is there a difference
    between manually downloading from the MD link or directly via the browser?

Thanks

Harald

17. 17 Posted by harold on 17 May, 2022 06:31 PM

The MD+ service is still not working: when I downloaded transactions from my 3 banks today, nothing was downloaded; in one case (TD) the status bar said: 0 of 4 downloads after removing duplicates; a subsequent QFX manual download from the bank site correctly downloaded the new transactions from yesterday. Is there a bug that incorrectly flags duplicates and blocks previous days transactions?
    To test, I ran the MD+ download after the manual one and I was able to download 2 duplicates that I simply merged.

In another case (Tangerine Mastercard nothing was downloaded via MD+ but all but pending transactions were downloaded via QFX.

Is there an issue with VPNs? I am experiencing problems with MD+ both with and without VPN. I can download manually with the VPN active from TD and Tangerine but CIBC sometimes blocks downloads with VPN active and I have to shut down the VPN.
    "Delete QFX Banking Service" in Toolbox does not show any of my 3 banks but MD+ in the main application shows all 3 banks are connected.

Is it possible that MD+ and QFX date stamps interfere?

Help, my trial is running out and I would like to know if I can make this service work, it looks very useful if I could get it work consistently.

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Maddy on 18 May, 2022 08:30 AM

Could you send us the contents of your console log, from when you're trying to connect to TD via Moneydance+?
    Here's how to get the logs:

1) In Moneydance, select Help > Console Window. This will open the console messages window.
    2) While the Console Window is open, attempt to connect to your bank using Moneydance+. Any error messages should be recorded to the Console.
    3) Select all of the text in the Console and use the "Copy to Clipboard" button at the bottom to copy the text.
    4) Paste the text from the message window into a text file (preferably saved with a .txt extension) and attach that file to your response here.

Thank you

--

19. 19 Posted by harold on 18 May, 2022 07:32 PM

Hi Maddy,
    The first log is from the MD+ Download All Accounts download, the second one when I attempted to download from the TDLoC account only that had 2 transactions from 2 days ago that failed to download via MD+; in the same log I also reset the date which did not help.
     I am still waiting for a reply on how to download investment transactions.
    Thanks

20. 20 Posted by harold on 20 May, 2022 02:06 PM

The log reports that MD+ removes new transactions because they are flagged incorrectly as duplicates; I can download via QFX; my trial subscription to MS+ runs out on Sunday and I would like to know whether this service can work for me by then. Still waiting to hear whether I will be able to download my investment transactions.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac