Plaid broken?

Joseph Kesselman

15 May, 2022 04:43 PM

Hi, folks. Signed up for a trial of Moneydance+, entered the license number, and ran Setup Online Banking. The Plaid interface accepted my login for the Hudson Valley Credit Union, and claimed it had successfully connected to my account. But I have not been able to get data downloaded.

"Download all accounts" says no accounts are available to be downloaded.

When I tell Moneydance to go to ebranch.hvcu.org, it has me sign in again and then shows a webpage with "Could not process response for module."

"Match online accounts" shows only "Imported OFX/QFX Files", and that list is empty.

When I look at the account properties, the account and routing number for the one account I entered manually seem to be correct.

Trying to sign up again for HVCU tells me "You're fully connected".

Online/Set up Moneydance+ shows me no linked accounts. When I hit Refresh, it says "There was an error communicating with your financial institution. The details of this error are below.

Bank Name: Moneydance+

The error code reported by the server was: 0

Received malformed response: Response{protocol=h2, code=401, message=, url=https://mdplus.infinitekind.com/plaid/item/get}
Error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not parse error response"

Tried with another credit union, same results.

The Plaid process is the best reason for switching to Moneydance -- and a necessary reason, since not all of my banks support OFX/QFX download. If it doesn't work, I can't use Moneydance and am stuck with Quicken. Which isn't an utter disaster now that I've gotten good at figuring out how to renew Quicken for $50/year rather than the $80/year they try to trick people into paying... but I'd really like to have a viable alternative.

1. 1 Posted by Joseph Kesselma... on 15 May, 2022 04:50 PM

Followup: The "Set up Moneydance+" window currently shows two "no name" entries.

I'm going to terminate the Moneydance+ trial subscription for now; I will open a new one if/when you tell me there's a fix.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 18 May, 2022 03:20 PM

Hi Joseph,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Firstly, when you see "no name" listed, you should disconnect it and restart Moneydance.

In addition, upgrading to the latest preview version should hopefully fix the problem for you.
    Moneydance 2022.4 (4078) is now available to download from this page.

Then, in the Set Up Moneydance+ window, you'll need to click on the "None" label in order to select which account in Moneydance corresponds to the account names and numbers on the left side of the window. After doing that and selecting the Moneydance account from the menu, using the ⌘D keyboard shortcut or clicking the Download button when the account is selected will cause Moneydance to download the transactions for that account.

Finally, the Match Online Accounts feature is not relevant to Moneydance +.
    Its function is to remembered account number links for manually imported files.

Unfortunately Moneydance+ can only display the information that is sent to it from your bank, so I don't think there's more details for the program to give. One thing some customers seem to be able to do is log into their bank's website and change the name of their accounts, for banks that allow either changing the name, or assigning nicknames. This sometimes seems to be transferred over into Plaid and the Moneydance+ setup.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Joseph Kesselma... on 20 May, 2022 09:26 PM

Thanks, Maddy. I'll give the new version, and detailed instructions, a spin.

4. 4 Posted by Joseph Kesselma... on 23 May, 2022 04:25 PM

Tried to post an update with full description of what I tried and what I saw, but the server rejected it (though it was supposedly sent to an admin for analysis).

Bottom line: @Maddy's suggestion still hasn't worked. I haven't gotten to a point where I can see a "None" label. Despite starting an entirely new MD file.

When I get a moment I'll try again.

5. 5 Posted by Jason on 25 May, 2022 02:44 PM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Plaid broken?

I just started receiving this error today. I updated to 4080 this morning but it persists:

Received malformed response: Response{protocol=h2, code=500, message=, url=https://mdplus.infinitekind.com/plaid/transactions/get}
    Error: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not parse error response

6. 6 Posted by mdomenic on 25 May, 2022 03:20 PM

Same here - new 4080 did not fix the problem for me. All of my Plaid connections are hosed. Any other suggestions?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 25 May, 2022 03:35 PM

I suspect this to be a problem with the Plaid server, as it is happening to everyone at once. In the meantime I've reported the problem to the development team for further advice.

Thank you for your patience while we are looking into this for you.
    We will post on this thread as soon as we have more information.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

8. 8 Posted by Joseph Kesselma... on 25 May, 2022 03:42 PM

Deleted my existing moneydance files with the prior attempts.
    Upgraded to version 4080.
    Started moneydance, let it create a new account set. ("Trial++")
    Online/Set Up Moneydance+/Confirm email/Purchase/Purchase completed.
    Return to Set Up Moneydance+ window.
    Connect Accounts/Activate/Sync accounts.
    Enter the name of my credit union. Enter credentials.

Browser responds with "Authorizing with our servers", and sits on that page for a very long time, eventually (timeout?) responding with "Something went wrong. You can try again later or find another bank to continue." No diagnostically useful error message presented to the user, but maybe your logs will have something informative.

I can try Activating again later today, but ... for a system which is supposed to be a higher-quality replacement for Quicken's kluges, this is not encouraging.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac