Archive - Getting Started - Clearing Transactions and Reconciling your Accounts
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
Why should I Reconcile my accounts?
The purpose of reconciling an account is to ensure that neither you nor your bank have made a mistake in recording transactions. Reconciling accounts in Moneydance is akin to balancing a paper checkbook.
You can also choose to reconcile your account manually, or have all transactions which you have downloaded/imported from your bank automatically marked as cleared. To do this, click File → Preferences → Network, and select “Mark Transactions as Cleared When Confirmed”.
How do I Reconcile my accounts?
To begin, select Reconcile from the Account menu. You will be shown a non-editable Beginning Statement Balance. The Beginning Statement Balance on the reconcile window is a calculated value, which is Initial - Balance of the Account + Cleared Deposits - Cleared Payments
You will be asked to enter an Ending Statement Balance, usually the balance listed on your most recent bank statement, or on your bank’s website.
The "As of" date is only enabled if you download transactions for that account online. If this box is selected, then all transactions that were downloaded/imported on or before the date chosen will be marked as reconciling.
The Reconcile Accounts window lists all transactions in the account which are not Cleared. You can change the order of transactions in this window by clicking on any of the column headings - Date, Check#, Description, C (cleared), and Amount.
Payments are listed in the left-hand column and deposits are listed in the right-hand column. Each column shows a Cleared and Uncleared balance, which will change as you click on transactions to toggle them between Reconciling and Uncleared.
The Current Balance displays the effects of your reconciling thus far on the Beginning Balance, and the difference between Current and Target Balance as Difference.
If you have marked all the transactions from your statement as Reconciling and the Current Balance and Target Balance are now the same, you have successfully reconciled your account.
Click Done to exit the reconcile window. The transactions marked as Reconciling will now be displayed as Cleared in the account register.
If you select Finish Later, transaction which are marked as Reconciling will display this status in the account register. Select Unmark All mark all transactions as Uncleared and return to the account register.
What do I do when I have Reconciled my accounts but my balance does not match?
If you reconciled your account last month and this month you came to reconcile and the beginning statement balance this month does not match the ending statement balance from last month there are a limited number of possible causes, which you can read about in this article.
If a transaction in Moneydance does not seem to match with your bank’s records, the error may be in your entry. Click on the appropriate transaction and use the Edit button to change its value in your account’s register. If you suspect the error is on the bank’s end, you'll need to contact them to change their records.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else