Archive - Getting Started - General and Transaction Reminders
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
What are reminders?
You can use the Moneydance “Reminder” function to schedule reminder notes or transactions in advance. Click on Reminders in the Moneydance sidebar to open the Reminder Calendar. Or navigate to Tools --> Reminders.
Existing reminders are listed in alphabetical order to the right of the calendar. All reminders are also listed in the calendar on the date(s) they are scheduled to occur. Dates in the calendar which have reminders that have not yet been recorded or acknowledged are highlighted in yellow.
What's the difference between the types of reminders?
There are two types of reminder available for use within Moneydance, general and transaction -
General Reminders are text notes that appear in the Calendar and on the Home Page according to a set schedule.
Transaction Reminders are transactions that appear on the calendar and Home Page according to a set schedule, and can be recorded into your register directly.
How can I create a Transaction reminder?
First, bring up the Reminder calendar by clicking on Reminders in the Moneydance Sidebar (or by going to the Tools→Reminders menu item). To create a new reminder click on the appropriate date in the calendar, or on the + (plus) button at the bottom right of the page.
The Reminder Description field is for your information, and is used in the reminder list to the right of the reminder calendar. The First Date is the first date the reminder will occur on, the Last Date is the last date the reminder will occur and is an optional field.
Reminders can occur one time, or can be Repeated. Reminder can be applied manually or auto-committed. You can read more about this further into the article.
Select the appropriate Account by clicking the up/down arrows. Enter a Description, Category (or multiple categories using a split transaction), and Payment/Deposit amount. You may also choose to enter a Check #, Memo, or Tag(s).
How can I create a General reminder?
You can create a general reminder in the same way - by clicking on Reminders in the Moneydance Sidebar (or by going to the Tools→Reminders menu item). To create a new reminder click on the appropriate date in the calendar, or on the + (plus) button at the bottom right of the page.
General Reminders are text notes, they are designed to remind you of an event, bill, or other financial event. Reminders can occur one time, or can be Repeated. The First Date is the first date the reminder will occur on, the Last Date is the last date the reminder will occur and is an optional field.
How can I edit or delete a reminder?
To delete a reminder click once on the reminder in the right panel of the reminder calendar, then click the - (minus) sign at the bottom right of the page.
To edit a reminder double-click on the name of the reminder in the right panel.
How can I repeat a reminder?
When you create a reminder, you'll see a 'Repeat every...' option which offers a number of different date “tabs”. A reminder will occur on all dates you specify in ANY and ALL tabs.
Daily- Repeat the transaction every X number of days. This can be any number from 1 to 100,000. Example - If you are paid bi-weekly you could set a reminder to repeat every 14 days. If there is a payment which needs to be made every 2 years, you could set it to repeat every 730 days.
Weekly- Repeat the transaction on every First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, or Last Monday, Tuesday, etc of the Month. Example -a transaction could be repeated on the second and fourth Tuesday and Thursday of the Month.
Monthly- Repeat the transaction on specified days of Every, Every Other, Every Third, Every Fourth, or Every Sixth month. Example - a transaction could repeat on the 1st and 15th day of every third month.
Annually- Repeat the transaction on the same day, once each year.
How do I 'auto-commit' transaction reminders into the register?
When creating a Transaction Reminder selecting “Auto-Commit” will enter the transaction in the appropriate account register a set number of days before the transaction is scheduled. Selecting “0” in the “Days Before Scheduled” field will apply the transaction to your account on the day it is scheduled.
If the Auto-Commit box is not checked when you create your Transaction Reminder, the transaction will not be applied to your register until/unless you manually apply the reminder.
How do I manually apply a reminder?
Click on Reminders in the Moneydance sidebar to open the Reminder Calendar. Existing reminders are listed in alphabetical order to the right of the calendar. All reminders are also listed in the calendar on the date(s) they are scheduled to occur. Dates in the calendar which have reminders that have not yet been recorded or acknowledged are highlighted in yellow.
Click on a reminder to choose from the following options:
- Skip - Skips only this instance of a recurring reminder.
- Send Online Payment -Opens the Online Bill Payment interface. This option is only available if you have already set up online bill payment with your bank through Moneydance.
- Defer - Performs no action. Leaves the reminder in the overdue or upcoming list.
- Record - Enters the transaction into your register.
- Acknowledge - Removes the General Reminder from your Summary.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else