Archive - Moneydance 2017 - Budgeting
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
If you're using Moneydance for the first time, you may wish to refer to the following article -
'Getting Started - Creating a Budget'
You can find more information about Moneydance 2017 budget features below -
Using the Budget Status Graph -
You can monitor your budget using the Budget Status Graph. This feature provides you a quick overview of your financial status compared to your budget, and will adjust automatically each time you record a change in your budget or enter a new transaction.
The Budget Status Graph is located at the top of the register. You'll need to ensure that 'Show Budget Status' is enabled in the view menu to see this feature.
Clicking anywhere on the Budget Status Graph will bring up a chart of your budgeted categories.
Clicking on the budget name will let you select a different budget, choose the time period to be displayed, or open the budget manager window.
Using the Summary Budget Bars -
Budget Bars provide a detailed graphical view of how you're managing your budget. By default, once you've created a budget using Budget Manager, the Budget Bars will be displayed on your Summary Page.
Select the time period you would like to monitor by clicking on the double arrows at the top of the Budget Bars.
Hovering over a budget bar will display the percentage of your budget for that category that is already spent.
Hovering over the budgeted amount for that category will show the interval, time period, and budgeted total for that category.
Right click on any bar to move it up, down, or delete it from the graph.
Each bar corresponds to a budgeted Category. The bar itself has several features:
Category Name Located directly above the bar on the left.
Budgeted Amount Located directly above the bar on the right. This number represents the total budgeted amount for the selected time period.
Actual Spending Amount Located on the budget bar at the left. This shows the current spending in this category for the selected time period.
Color The color of the budget bar shows where you stand in relation to your budget based on a customizable color warning system.
Bar Length Current actual spending for the selected time period is represented as the horizontal length of the colored area.
Over Budget Limit In a budget you have overspent, a vertical line will appear in the budget bar to mark 100% of the budgeted amount.
Customizing the Summary Budget Bars -
You can customize the Budget Bars by selecting the time frame, categories and order. Click the Settings button above the Budget Bars to set your preferences.
Budget Select which of your budgets you would like to display.
Categories Click the Select button to choose which categories you would like to display and drag them to the “Included Items” window.
Show full category names Check this box if you would like to see full category names displayed, such as “Bills:Electric” rather than just “Electric.”
Show income bar limit as maximum Checking this box will track income categories as if they were expenses, so that exceeding your income budget will display as being “over” the budgeted amount. Leaving the box unchecked will display the income categories in green.
Under Categories in which you have spent less than your budgeted amount will display in the color selected here. The default color is green.
Warning Select the percentage of your budget to be spent before being notified that you're nearing your budget limit. You can also modify the default color (yellow) for “Warning” categories.
Over Select the percentage above your budget required for the Bar to turn red. You can also modify the default “Over” color.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else