Archive - Moneydance 2017 - Register and Transaction basics
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
You can find more information about Moneydance 2017 register and transaction features below -
When in the account register, your balance is listed in the lower right hand corner. Clicking on this box will allow you to see the various balance calculations. Some values are available only for account(s) which download information and transactions directly from your bank.
Balance - The total of all your transactions in an account register, regardless of date or cleared/uncleared status.
Current Balance - The total of all your transactions up to and including today's date.
Cleared Balance - The total of all transactions you have marked "cleared.”
Confirmed Balance - The total of all transactions you have confirmed.
Unconfirmed Total - The total of all transaction that are marked as unconfirmed.
Ledger Balance - The balance provided by the bank. This includes all “outstanding” transactions such as deposits that are still pending clearance.
Available Balance - The current available balance provided by the bank when you last imported/download transactions.
Moneydance's address book allows you to include information such as street addresses, phone numbers and email contacts for people and businesses. To add, delete, or edit addresses go to the Tools → Address Book.
You can select any entry from your Address Book from the Description drop-down menu in an account register. Description choices which point to address book information are marked with @ symbols. Address book entries must be used to print addresses on checks.
The quick transaction entry interface is an easy way to enter transactions from within the search box. Typing within the search box will bring up a quick entry interface. Moneydance will “guess” the account and category of the transaction based on how you’ve categorized similar transactions in the past.
Click the “Edit” button to change the transaction and the “Record” button to enter it into the register. The Quick Entry interface is not available though the Reminders view, Loan registers, the Budget Manager, and graphs or reports.
You can find a full list of the keyboard short cuts available in Moneydance 2017 here.
Right-clicking a transaction brings up the Transaction Editing Menu. (If you are using a single-button mouse, holding Control while clicking will also bring up this menu.)
From the right-click menu you can:
Add Attachment To attach image files to a transaction
Create Reminder from Transaction Creates a transaction reminder.
Duplicate Transaction Opens the New Transaction dialog box and fills in the current information which can be edited.
Show Other Side Opens the register of the other account/category involved in this transaction.
Mark as Uncleared Removes green check mark.
Mark as Reconciling Inserts diamond mark.
Mark as Cleared Inserts green check mark.
Batch Change Allows you to make changes either to a single transaction, or to multiple selected transactions at one time. (See below for more details)
Delete Deletes transaction.
Single Line Mode Sets the register to display only the Description line entries.
Two Line Mode Sets the register to display both Description and Memo line entries.
Sort by Sorts the register by a specified set of variables. (See below for more details.)
Ascending Sorts the register from earliest to most recent date.
Show Transaction Details Displays all information associated with the transaction in the format it will be saved to the data file. Generally only used for technical support issues.
Right-clicking (CTRL-clicking for Macs) one or more selected transactions will bring up a context menu providing functions that can be applied to the selected transaction(s).
One of these functions is Batch Change, which makes changes to the currently selected transaction(s).
Batch Change allows you to make changes to the Description, Check#,Memo, Tags, Category, and Account fields in the register.
Changing the Category of a transaction changes the information which is currently in the Category field of the transaction. Changing the Account of the transactions will move them out of the current account (or category) register into a different account (or category) register withour creating a transfer transaction between the accounts.
Date Chronological by Date column.
Date Entered When you entered the transaction into the register.
Description Alphabetical by description field.
Amount Sorts by Payment and Deposits fields.
Cleared Status Sorts transactions by status under the “C” field.
Account Sorts transactions by account/category under the Category field.
Date/Status Sorts transactions by date, then by status within each day.
Date/Amount Sorts transactions by date, then by amount within each day.
Date/Check# Sorts transactions by date, then by check # within each day.
Check# Sorts transactions by check number.
Status/Check# Sorts transactions by status and check number.
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)