Archive - Getting Started - Moneydance Menus
This is an archived document. Please refer to the more recent knowledge base articles on this page
The File Menu
- New Create a blank data file.
- New Transaction Allows you to enter a new transaction into your register. Only available when an account register is open.
- Open Open a different Moneydance data file. Selecting ‘Open Other’ allows you to navigate to a specific Moneydance file not already listed.
- Import Import QFX, OFX, OFC, QFC, or QIF files.
- Export Export data in a specified format, QIF, Tab Delimited or Raw JSON.
- Export Backup Manually saves a backup of your file to a specified location, as a '.moneydancearchive' file.
- Restore from Backup Open a '.moneydancearchive' file, created using 'Export Backup'.
- Passwords (labeled Encryption in older versions) This will enable password protection for the startup of Moneydance. You can select ‘Store Online Passwords in File’ to store your Direct Connection login details.
- Syncing Set up syncing between Moneydance and your mobile device, or multiple computers.
- Print Checks From within individual accounts only - print checks from the current account.
- Print Transactions From within individual accounts only - print transactions from the current account as they are shown in the register.
- Preferences You can find details on changing your Moneydance preferences here Mac Users will find this option within Moneydance --> Preferences
The Edit Menu
- From this menu you can Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, and Select All.
- Find Sends cursor to the Search/Find box.
- Advanced Search Brings up a dialog box with advanced search options.
The View Menu
- Show Budget Status Shows the Budget Status graph in the status bar.
- Show Net Worth Graph Shows the New Worth graph in the status bar.
- Hide Status Graph Show no graph in the status bar.
- Hide/Show Side Bar Hides or Shows the Side Bar.
- Summary Shortcut to the Summary.
The Account Menu
Items under the Account menu operate on the account that is currently open in the main window.
- New Account Create a new account.
- Edit Account Edit the settings for the currently displayed account. The program must be closed and re-opened before these changes will take effect.
- Delete Account Deletes the account and all transactions it contains.
- Reconcile Opens the reconcile interface.
The Online Menu
Items under the menu operate on the account that is currently open in the main window
- Download all Accounts Downloads transactions for all accounts enabled for Direct Connect with your bank.
- Open Account Website Automatically opens your browser to a page you've pre-set.
- Set up Online Banking Set up online banking for the currently shown account.
- Set up Online Bill Pay Set up online bill payment for the currently shown account.
- Online Bill Payment Open the online bill payment window.
- Send Online Payment Send online payment.
- Download Transactions Downloads transactions from current account only.
- Confirm Selected New Transactions Confirms the selected recently downloaded or imported transaction for the current account.
- Forget Online Passwords Forgets passwords (in encrypted data files) for direct connect enabled accounts. To remember your account passwords, your file must be encrypted.
The Tools Menu
- Accounts Add, edit, or delete accounts, and print a chart of accounts.
- Categories Add, edit, or delete categories, and print category list.
- Currencies Display currencies associated with the current file.; add, modify, or delete currencies; set base currency for data file.
- Securities Add, edit, or delete securities.
- Reminders Displays the calendar and reminder list tool.
- Budget Manager Displays the budget management tool.
- Address Book Add, edit, and delete address book entries.
- Graphs and Reports Brings up a graphs and reports dialog box.
- Translate Currencies Brings up the currency converter tool.
- Calculator Displays a simple calculator.
- Loan Calculator Brings up the loan/mortgage calculator. In order to use the VAT/GST functionality you must first enable it in your Preferences.
- VAT/GST Settings Specify which categories are to be used with VAT/GST, the rate for each category, and to which expense category you'd like the VAT/GST assigned.
- VAT/GST Transactions Displays a list of all the transactions for a specified account that have VAT/GST applied to them. You can also use this window to override the default rate applied to each transaction.
Steps for installing and using Moneydance extensions can be found here.
The Window Menu
Shows a list of the currently open windows at the bottom of the menu
- Minimize To minimize the current window.
- Welcome to Moneydance Displays the 'Getting Started with Moneydance' window.
- Python Scripting... Allows you to access the Python script editor.
The Help Menu
- Online Support Brings you to our online support forum and knowledge base. Check out our documentation, be part of our community, or ask our friendly support agents a private question.
- Register Moneydance If visible, the version of Moneydance you're running is not registered. You can enter the license key to register the software. Not visible if purchased from the Mac App Store
- Console Window Displays detailed error and debugging information.
- About Moneydance Provides information about what version of Moneydance/Java you're running, your license key, and translation credits. On a Mac this item is located under the Moneydance menu
- Show Archive Folder Opens the folder where Moneydance stores archived files by default.
- Show Documents Folder Opens the folder where Moneydance stores data files by default.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else