Upgrading from 2011 and Earlier
The steps below are for upgrading your data from Moneydance 2011 and earlier versions.
If you are not sure which version of Moneydance you are currently running, open the program and navigate to Help --> About Moneydance (Moneydance menu on a Mac), where the version and build number will be displayed.
Before upgrading, we'd always recommend taking a backup or copy of your data file.
First, download and install the appropriate version of Moneydance for your system from here.
If your data file is encrypted as outlined here, you should download Moneydance 2021 first to be able to open the encrypted file, then you can upgrade to the latest version as required.
If you purchased Moneydance from the Mac App Store, please download Moneydance 2021 from there.
Open Moneydance 2021. You will likely see the "Welcome to Moneydance" window.
Click on "Import new account set". Then open the yourfilename.md data file to convert your data file to the newer file format.
To keep your data file stored in it’s current location select “Convert Only".
To have Moneydance move your data file into the internal library select “Convert and Import".
Once your data has been opened with a newer version of Moneydance, the file cannot be opened using earlier versions anymore.
If you have previously purchased Moneydance, you can redeem a generous discount against the upgrade cost. Enter your current license key in the 'Upgrading?' key tester on this page.
Once you've purchased the upgrade, you'll be sent a new license key via email from our payment processing partners, Paddle. The license key can be entered within Moneydance by navigating to Help --> Register Moneydance.
Once you're running the newer version, you should update your extensions. To do this, go to Extensions --> Manage Extensions and click the “Update All” button at the bottom right of the window.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else