Syncing with Other Computers
If you are running Moneydance 2019 or a newer version you can sync your files seamlessly and efficiently across computers and mobile devices using our fully encrypted internal syncing engine.
Moneydance can now use any shared folder (such as Dropbox) to quickly sync your financial data conflict-free, using end-to-end encryption to maintain your privacy.
Before you set up syncing, you must make sure you're running the same version of Moneydance on all systems. You can check the version and build number by navigating to Help > About Moneydance (on a Mac, choose Moneydance > About Moneydance).
Before you set up syncing, you must ensure the .moneydance data files you'd like to share are not already located in any shared folder like Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud etc. If your data file is stored in (or being accessed/backed up by) any shared folder service, this can lead to problems like data corruption and data loss. If your file is shared, you must move the file onto your local system before proceeding.
You should not rely solely on syncing to back up your data.
We always recommend backing up your main data set regularly, and with whatever backup method you use to protect your financial information. Automatic backups can be enabled within Preferences > Backups, and manual backups can be created using File > Export Backup.
Enable Syncing -
Open Moneydance to view the file you'd like to share, and navigate to File > Syncing.
Then pick a sync method. You can choose from the options below -
Sync using the Dropbox folder on this computer. This will allow Moneydance to process synced data even if you're not connected to the Internet at the time.
This option will only be available if you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer (in the default location).
Sync by connecting to your Dropbox account. Moneydance will communicate with the Dropbox service if you authorise it to access your files.
You will be redirected to the Dropbox website where you'll be given an authorisation code that you should enter into Moneydance.
This sync method is specifically designed for Apple devices and it can only be used with one iCloud account at a time.
This sync option is available in Moneydance 2022 and newer versions.
Sync using a folder that you specify that is shared across computers.
(NOT mobile devices)
If you wish to share your data with the mobile app in addition to other computers, you'll need to ensure you select Dropbox Folder, Dropbox Connection or iCloud Drive as the sync method.
You must choose Dropbox Connection if you purchased Moneydance from the App Store.
You'll then be prompted to create an Encryption Password if you haven't already.
The encryption password should be a unique password and something you choose. It is not your Dropbox account password, and should not be the same as any other password for your own security.
Retrieve Sync Data -
On your other computer or laptop, you should open Moneydance and navigate to File > New
If you're viewing the Welcome to Moneydance window, select "Create New Account Set".
Then select "Open Synced File" and select the same sync method as the first system.
You'll then be shown a list of any data files that are available for syncing.
Select the data file you want to access and enter the encryption passphrase.
The "Finish" button will be greyed out and cannot be selected until the correct password has been entered.
It may take a moment for the file to initially sync after completing the last step of the sync setup process. Please wait for the syncing to complete and do not close or force quit the program.
How Syncing Works -
By following these steps, each computer will have its own copy of your .moneydance data file, and also separate .moneydancearchive backup files (all stored locally).
Any changes are shared with the other computer(s) using the sync files within the shared folder you picked.
If you enter a test transaction on either computer, you'll see it appear on the other after a few moments.
Preferences and Passwords -
When you sync the file between systems in this way - the Master Password on the original system will not be transferred. The password that you set to open your data file is a password just for the specific computer or mobile device. The passwords cannot be transferred as it's a matter of local security on each system. If you want to use a password, you’ll need to set this up for each system you’re syncing with via File > Passwords.
The preference settings won't be transferred to your new system - this is by design. You will need to configure your preferences on the systems you are syncing with. You may wish to refer to the Preferences articles for more information.
For example - Two members of a household share a data file, but have different computers. Each has their own preferences related to theme, font size etc. If the preferences were synced, each computer would be forced to use the same preferences, not what the individual user needed.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else