Create a Budget
There are two budget formats available within Moneydance -
The 'Newer' format and the 'Older Mixed Interval' format.
The Newer format will be used when you create a budget with consistent intervals - weekly, monthly annually etc.
If you'd like to include different time intervals within the budget, the ‘Mixed Interval’ budget format should be used.
Create a Budget -
Navigate to Tools —> Budget Manager.
Select 'New' to create a new budget. Then enter the budget name and select the ‘period’.
Selecting either Weekly, Biweekly, Monthly or Annually will create budget using this time period, and the 'Newer' budget format.
Selecting Mixed Interval will create an older style budget, which can have categories with different time intervals.
Once you have created your budget, you have to close the Budget Manager window. Then select your newly created budget from the left sidebar to access and edit it.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else