Enter Transactions -
To create a new transaction click the New Transaction button at the top right of the account register screen.
You can also create a new transaction by typing ⌘N.
The New Transaction dialog box is located at the very bottom of your screen, where you can input the transaction details.
Press the 'Enter' key when you're done. If enabled, you'll hear the cash register sound to confirm the transaction has been entered into the register.
Double-click on an existing transaction to edit it.
Sometimes you may want to create a transaction containing more than one category.
For example, you may make a purchase at a grocery store with is partially groceries and partially a reimbursable business expense.
To split a transaction into several categories, create a new transaction or double click a transaction to edit it, then select the Category field to open the Category drop-down menu and click the “Split” button at the top (or press ⌘-L or Ctrl + L on your keyboard).
To record a split, click the New Split button (or use the keyboard shortcut ⌘-N or Ctrl + N) for each split transaction you want to enter, then specify the amount, category, and description/memo for the split. Click the Done button when finished (⌘-W or Ctrl + W).
When entering a transaction, if you enter the full amount into the payment field, before opening the split window -
each split entered will calculate the remaining amount. For example - If you enter £100 into the transaction payment field, then select the "Split" button. You can amend the first split to £40, and select 'New Split'. This will create the next split with the reminder, £60.
Quick Entry -
The quick transaction entry interface is an easy way to enter transactions from within the search box.
Typing within the search box will bring up a quick entry interface. Moneydance will “guess” the account and category of the transaction based on how you’ve categorized similar transactions in the past.
Click the “Edit” button to change the transaction and the “Record” button to enter it into the register.
The Quick Entry interface is not available though the Reminders view, Loan registers, the Budget screen, or graphs and reports.
Auto Complete -
Moneydance has an auto completion feature for transactions. Transactions can be auto completed by typing into the payee (description) field.
With each keystroke, past transactions are searched for payees with names that begin with the text already entered.
If a matching transaction is found, the rest of the current payee field is filled in with the matched payee value.
At this point you can either continue to type, or use the TAB key to continue to the next field.
Using the down arrow while auto-completion is active will display all address book entries and recent payees that begin with the letters that have already been entered and allow you to select one of them.
You can opt to have auto-complete be case sensitive or non-case sensitive. You can edit this option within your Preferences.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else