Syncing with Mobile App
If you are running Moneydance 2019 or a newer version you can sync your files seamlessly and efficiently across computers and mobile devices using our fully encrypted internal syncing engine.
Moneydance can now use any shared folder (such as Dropbox) to quickly sync your financial data conflict-free, using end-to-end encryption to maintain your privacy.
Before you set up syncing, you must ensure the .moneydance data files you'd like to share are not already located in any shared folder like Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud etc. If your data file is stored in (or being accessed/backed up by) any shared folder service, this can lead to problems like data corruption and data loss. If your file is shared, you must move the file onto your local system before proceeding.
You should not rely solely on syncing to back up your data.
We always recommend backing up your main data set regularly, and with whatever backup method you use to protect your financial information. Automatic backups can be enabled within Preferences > Backups, and manual backups can be created using File > Export Backup.
Enable Syncing -
Open Moneydance to view the file you'd like to share, and navigate to File > Syncing.
Then pick a sync method. To sync with a mobile device, you must choose Dropbox Folder, Dropbox Connection or iCloud Drive.
Sync using the Dropbox folder on this computer. This will allow Moneydance to process synced data even if you're not connected to the Internet at the time.
This option will only be available if you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer (in the default location).
Sync by connecting to your Dropbox account. Moneydance will communicate with the Dropbox service if you authorise it to access your files.
You will be redirected to the Dropbox website where you'll be given an authorisation code that you should enter into Moneydance.
This sync method is specifically designed for Apple devices and it can only be used with one iCloud account at a time.
This sync option is available in Moneydance 2022 and newer versions.
You'll then be prompted to create an Encryption Password if you haven't already.
The encryption password should be a unique password and something you choose. It is not your Dropbox account password, and should not be the same as any other password for your own security.
Open Sync Data using the App -
If you haven't already, you should install the free mobile app on your mobile device.
The app is available via the iOS Mac App if you're using an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Or you can download it from the Google Play Store if you're using an Android device.
Once installed, open the app and you'll see "Dropbox" and "iCloud" options.
Select the sync method you enabled on the computer.
- If you choose Dropbox, select "Connect to Dropbox" and log in to your Dropbox account.
- If you choose iCloud, you'll need to log in to iCloud on the device you're using.
You'll then be shown a list of any data files that are available for syncing.
Select the data file you want to access and enter the encryption passphrase.
Then wait a moment while your data populates into the app.
It may take a few moments for the initial sync to complete and for your account information to display.
You can find more information about using the mobile app in this article.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else