The 'Newer' Budget Format
After creating your budget, close the Budget Manager window, and select the budget in the left sidebar.
All of your categories will be displayed on the right.
Three columns will be displayed - showing the previous interval, current interval, and upcoming interval.
E.g. Last month, this month and next month.
The center column is the active time period being budgeted for. Within this you'll see two columns of numbers.
The left number is the amount (either income or expenses) currently in the category.
The right number is the amount you have budgeted for the category.
To set the amount, click the number on the right and enter the amount that you want to budget for that item. The number will be 0 if you haven't budgeted anything for that category.
You can easily set your budget based on past spending by right-clicking on the heading of any of the time period columns and selecting one of the following options:
Copy and rollover previous period Sets this period’s budget as the sum of last period’s budget and the difference between the previous period’s spending and budget.
For example, if last period’s grocery budget was $200 and you spent $150, this period’s grocery budget would be $250.
Copy previous period Sets this period’s budget as the last period’s budget.
For example, if last period’s grocery budget was $200 this period’s grocery budget would be $200, regardless of what your spending was in the previous period.
Use actual spending from previous period Sets this period’s budget as the amount spent during the last budgeting period.
For example, if last period’s grocery budget was $200 and you spent $150, this period’s grocery budget would be $150.
The view filters can be located at the top right of the budget screen, within the blue bar.
All - Displays all categories in your data file.
Budgeted - Displays only categories that you’ve set budgeted amounts for the current calendar year
Active - Displays all categories which have been used this calendar year.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else