Syncing with Other Computers
Moneydance 2019+ allows you to sync your files seamlessly and efficiently across computers and mobile devices using our fully encrypted incremental syncing engine. Moneydance can now use any shared folder (such as Dropbox) to quickly sync your financial data conflict-free, using end-to-end encryption to maintain your privacy.
You should make sure you're running the same version of Moneydance on both systems. You can check the version and build number by navigating to Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance menu --> About Moneydance on a Mac).
It is very important that you ensure the data files you'd like to share are not already located in any shared folder (like Dropbox, Network Share, etc) before syncing is setup. We strongly recommend that your main data file (the .moneydance file) is stored locally. In newer versions of Moneydance, you'll be prompted to move the file to your local system, if Moneydance detects the file is being shared.
We recommend that you do not rely solely on Dropbox for backing up your data.
We'd always recommend backing up your main desktop data set regularly, and with whatever backup method you use to protect your financial information. Automatic backups can be enabled within Preferences --> Backups, and manual backs can be created using File --> Export Backup
Open Moneydance to view the file you'd like to share, then navigate to File --> Syncing.
You can choose from three options -
Dropbox Folder - Sync using the Dropbox folder on this computer. This will allow Moneydance to process synced data even if you're not connected to the Internet at the time.
Dropbox Connection - Sync by connecting to your Dropbox account. Moneydance will communicate with the Dropbox service if you authorise it to access your files.
Shared Folder - Sync using a folder that you specify that is shared across computers or devices
If you also wish to share your data with the mobile app, you'll need to ensure you select either Dropbox Folder or Dropbox Connection as the sync method.
You must choose Dropbox Connection if you purchased Moneydance from the App Store.
iCloud Drive - (available with Moneydance 2022) This sync method is Mac specific and it can only be used with one iCloud account at the time.
You'll then be prompted to create an Encryption Password if you haven't already.
The encryption password should be a unique password and something you should choose. It is not your Dropbox account password, and should not be the same as any other passwords for your own security.
On your second system you should open Moneydance and navigate to File --> New (or 'Create New Account Set' from the Welcome to Moneydance window).
Then select "Open Synced File" and proceed to select the same sync method as selected on the first system.
You'll then be prompted to select the data set you'd like to sync. Enter the same encryption passphrase on the second computer in order to start syncing with the file.
It may take a moment for the file to initially sync after completing the last step of the sync setup process. Please wait for the syncing to complete and do not close or force quit the program.
When you share the file between systems in this way - the Master Password on the original system will not be transferred. The password that you set to open data, is a password just for the specific computer or mobile device. These passwords cannot be transferred as it's a matter of local security on each system. You’ll need to setup passwords for each system you’re syncing with.
The preference settings won't be transferred to your new system - this is by design. You will need to configure your preferences on the systems you are syncing with. You may wish to refer to the 'Preferences' section for more information.
For example - Two members of a household share a data file, but have different computers. Each has their own preferences related to theme, font size etc. If the preferences were synced, each computer would be forced to use the same preferences, not what the individual user needed.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else