If your bank does not support automatic downloads using Direct Connect, you can still easily import your data into the program.
You can use a web browser to download data from your bank's web site.
You can download transactions into QFX or OFX files. If these formats aren't available download into QIF files (aka Quicken or MS Money files).
To make the download process easier, you can open your bank's download page directly by selecting Online --> Open Account Website.
Manual downloads -
After downloading data, many web browsers will automatically ask which program you want to use to open the downloaded file. If your web browser prompts you in this manner select “Moneydance”.
If your browser does not offer this option, save the file on your computer.
From Moneydance, select File --> Import.
Alternatively, you can open Moneydance and drag the downloaded file into the Moneydance program window.
The “Import file” window will appear. From here the process differs depending on what type of file you are importing - QIF or OFX, QFX and OFC files.
Importing OFX, QFX and OFC files
Your account number will be displayed, and below this you can choose which account you'd like to import the data into.
Moneydance will attempt to match the imported account with your existing accounts and should identify the correct account in subsequent imports.
Importing QIF files
Using Moneydance 2019, when you attempt to import a QIF file you'll see a list of your accounts.
You'll also see 'Imported Bank Account' which will allow you to import the transactions into a new account.
At the bottom of the window, the program will try to determine which date format and decimal character have been used within the file.
The date format may not always be the format you'd expect. If you want to check which date format has been used, open the QIF file with a text program like TextEdit or NotePad to view the file contents.
Account Website Tool -
Select Online → Open Account Website to automatically open your browser to a page you've pre-set.
Designate the page you'd like this function to open (your bank's home-page, a link to your transfer file, etc.) by typing in the URL once as prompted.
To edit the account website, go to Account → Edit Account and enter the new URL in the Website field.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else