Moneydance offers the ability to enter historical stock prices directly from the within Investment accounts. You can do so in the following ways -
Manual entry -
Open the Securities Detail view from within the Investment account, and click History.
Click the "New" button to add a new price entry, and repeat to enter as many entries as you like.
If you have many entries you may need to scroll down to see the "New" line.
Importing prices from your security transaction history -
Open the Securities Detail view and click History.
Click the Import button. Select “Import from Transactions” and click “Import”.
The information from your security transactions will be integrated into your security’s history.
You’ll need to repeat this process for each security you’d like to import information for.
Importing a file -
You can import Comma or Tab delimited files
Open the Securities Detail view and click History.
Click the Import button.
Select “Import from File” and click “Import”, then select the file containing the security price history.
Quotes and Exchange Rates extension -
Moneydance can automatically download price information from Alphavantage/European Central Bank. The Quotes and Exchange rate extension pulls data from https://Alphavantage.co - this is a free service that provides an API for people and apps to retrieve exchange rates and security prices.
First, install the Quotes and Exchange Rates extension by selecting Extensions --> Manage Extensions. Once installed, the extension will be available within the Extensions menu.
When using the extension for the first time, ensure Alphavantage/Yahoo is selected as the source.
Select 'Set API Key' then 'Get Alphavantage API key' - you'll be taken to the Alphavantage site to claim a free API key. You can then enter the key into Moneydance to begin downloading your prices and rates.
You can customise the Quotes and Exchange Rates settings as follows:
Currency Exchange Rates
Moneydance will update all currency exchange rates using information from Alphavantage/European Central Bank, based on your chosen Update Frequency, or when you click “Update Now” in the Extension window.
Choose Alphavantage, or Google Finance (for historical security price updates). Moneydance will apply updates based on your chosen Update Frequency, or when you click “Update Now”.
Choose the interval at which the extension will update rates and prices.
Shows the date of the next scheduled update. Edit this field to schedule an update on a different date.
Only Show Securities that I Own
Tells the Extension to only list securities that you have associated with an account. View all the securities you have created in Moneydance by clicking Tools → Securities.
Clicking the “Advanced” button will allow you to test whether quotes and price histories are available for the securities you select.
To run a test, click “Test” in the Advanced window. If Moneydance is able to download the information, check marks will appear in the “Test Results” field, along with a current quote.
If the information is not available -the ticker symbol is incorrect, or the data is not accessible from the source you've selected - “X” marks will be shown.
Current exchange rates, security histories, and current quotes will automatically be integrated into your Investment accounts. To see this information, view your investment account and select “Securities Detail”, then choose the security you'd like to view.
You can also view the price and volume history of each of your securities by selecting “History” from the "Securities Detail” view in an Investment account.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else