Peer-to-peer (p2p) lending accounts are growing more popular, and you can easily track this kind of investment in Moneydance.
To aid in tracking these accounts, you should create a new "Subtype" of security for p2p notes.
You may wish to refer to the 'Security Subtypes' section for more information.
Add a new security, and set the security Type as “Other”.
Create a new subtype named “Peer to Peer".
It's best to use the “Average Cost” method of basis calculation for these types of investments.
Create a "New Security" for each individual loan.
- The Security ID and Security Name are the identification code as set by the p2p company.
- Enter a price and the number of decimal places. All other fields can be left blank.
Then record the transfer of funds from a bank account into the investment account. To do this you should enter a buy transaction for each security.
When you've purchased initial shares, you'll need to track the payments received each month.
As with a traditional bank held loan, these payments are divided into principle and interest payments.
The principle is a return of the initial loan, and is essentially a “sale” of some shares of the note.
The interest is income, using Xfr as the transaction type.
The complexity of investment accounts means it's not possible to create split transactions.
Each month, create two new transactions for each note you hold.
Select a transaction within the investment account, right click (ctrl+click) to view the context menu. Select 'Create Reminder from Transaction' to create a transaction reminder.
This brings up the reminder creation interface. You may wish to refer to the 'Reminders' section for more information.
It is important that you do NOT set the reminder to auto-commit.
This is because the amount of each transaction changes from month to month.
When the reminder is “due", access each reminder from the Summary Page.
Change the amount of the transaction, and then "Record" the transaction.
You may also wish to create a reminder for any monthly fees. This generally remains the same amount and can be auto-committed.
Purchasing and Upgrading
Accounts and Categories
Register and Transactions
Online Banking and Bill Pay
Graphs and Reports
Syncing and Sharing Data
Currency and VAT/GST
Backups and Exporting
Importing Data from Other Programs
Customizing and Preferences
File Locations and Changes
ARCHIVE - Getting Started
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Moneydance 2017 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2012, 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2017 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Changing colours and theme in Moneydance 2017
- Archive - Sharing data using the Moneydance 2017 syncing engine
- View all (15 more)
ARCHIVE - Moneydance 2014 and 2015
- Archive - Moneydance 2015 license keys and upgrade policy
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- Archive - Upgrading to Moneydance 2015 from Moneydance 2011 or earlier
- Archive - Opening a backup file in Moneydance 2015
- Archive - How to restore from a checkpoint in Moneydance 2012 and 2014
- View all (3 more)
ARCHIVE - Program Basics
ARCHIVE - Account Basics
ARCHIVE - Entering Transactions
- Archive - Does Moneydance allow for assigning 'classes' to transactions?
- Archive - How do I get the Register to auto fill todays date instead of the last entered date?
- Archive - How do I move a transaction to a different account?
- Archive - How do I enter my Paycheck?
- Archive - How do I create a split transaction?
- View all (2 more)
ARCHIVE - Online Banking
ARCHIVE - Mobile
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2015 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - Syncing Moneydance 2012 and 2014 with your Mobile Device
- Archive - How to sync with Moneydance 2008, 2010, and 2011
- Archive - How do I delete a transaction on the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?
- Archive - How to sync one data file with multiple iOS devices using different Dropbox accounts
- View all
ARCHIVE - Budgeting and Reminders
- Archive - Creating reminders (automatic repeating transactions or notes)
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Newer' format
- Archive - Creating a budget using the 'Mixed Interval' (Older) format
- Archive - What's the difference between a General and Transaction reminder?
- Archive - How do I have a reminder automatically entered into my register?
- View all (1 more)
ARCHIVE - International Tools
- Archive - Setting up VAT/GST
- Archive - Can you change the word "Check" to "Cheque" anywhere in the programme?
- Archive - How can I enter the exact amounts on both sides of a foreign currency transfer?
- Archive - My household/country/company uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year. Can I do this in Moneydance?
- View all
ARCHIVE - Investments
- Archive - How do I add Securities to a new Investment Account?
- Archive - How can I import security, stock or mutual fund prices?
- Archive - Entering your current holdings
- Archive - Creating a new investment subtype
- Archive - Downloading security, stock or mutual fund prices from non-US stock exchanges
- View all (5 more)
ARCHIVE - Extensions
ARCHIVE - Everything Else